Thursday, May 22, 2008

The HOPE We Have In Christ


Today while watching the news, I heard about Steven Curtis Chapman's daughter, Maria, who was killed yesterday at the family home by a SUV while she was playing in the driveway. Maria had celebrated her 5th birthday just days before.

Like many others, I am so heart broken for this family. It reminds me that we are not exempt from such great tragedy. One may ask- "how do you move on from here?" And those who don't have Jesus Christ for their reason of hope are wondering how could such a loving God allow something like this to happen.

This I know to be true. Having a personal relationship with Jesus Christ doesn't guarantee happiness or a pain free life. However, it does offer us HOPE. The hope that God offers us is eternal. This hope, empowers us to make it through the most difficult circumstances. If we dwell on these circumstances alone and on nothing else, despair is all that we will see. But if we look to God then we do have great hope because He is the Sovereign God of the universe and is active in our problems, working them out for His purpose and Glory.

My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus' blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils his lovely face,
I rest on his unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, his covenant, his blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
On Christ, the sold rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When he shall come with trumpet sound,
O may I then in him be found!
Dressed in his righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.


Edward Mote, 1797-1874
"The Solid Rock"


Lamentations 3:21-226

"This I recall to my mind, Therefore I have hope. Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassion's fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him! The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him. It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord."


The lyrics of the Hymn "Great is Thy Faithfulness" is taken from this portion of scripture in Lamentations. It reminds us that even in the gloomiest of circumstances we have hope.

Great Is Thy Faithfulness, O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be.

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed They hand hath provided-
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.


-
Thomas Chrisholm
"Great is Thy Faithfulness
"

I want to leave you with this- a quote by Charles Stanley.

"Take hope in who God is, specifically, who God desires to manifest Himself to be in your life today. He is your Hope. Anchor your soul in Him, and no storm can defeat you."


Below is the link to Steven Curtis Chapman's website that features the song "Cinderella". This is the song that he wrote for his daughter. It is a beautiful video and story of the song.

www.stevencurtischapman.com/cinderella.htm

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online