Sunday, April 5, 2009

Once Upon A Time There Was A Little Girl ...She Grew Up and Married Her Prince!


On Saturday we had the privilege of attending the wedding of the girl who was our junior bridesmaid at our wedding nearly 15 years ago. Michael and I took our three oldest children to Portland to see our sweet little Avery get married, and what a beautiful bride she was!

First I have to share briefly the story how we came to know Avery and her family.

Way back when I was still dating Michael and attending Multnomah Bible College, Michael got his first worship pastor job in Forest Grove at the Baptist church there. He moved everything he owned in his little CRX and stayed with a family in the church before finding a more permanent place to live. It was Doug and Mary Holmes and their two very cute kids, Nathan and Avery who so graciously opened their home to Michael.

During this time I (like I said earlier) was dating Michael and I was traveling back and forth to Forest Grove to attend church and be a part of his life there. I had a pretty great place to stay on the weekends at the Holmes' house. I quickly fell in love with this family and in no time felt like they were my second family. Mary has always referred to Michael and I as their other son and daughter and we feel the same back. So as you can imagine we got very close to the kids.

Avery was five or six when we met them and was a very energetic, sweet, happy little girl. She melted our hearts from the beginning. I loved watching Michael interact with the kids because it gave me a glimpse of how he might be with our children someday. (Of course, we were just dating then!)

Nine months after Michael took the job in F.G. he asked me to marry him. The whole next year at Multnomah was spent going to school, planning a wedding and spending as much time as I could with Michael, which happened to be in Forest Grove and with the Holmes.
Mary was right there to assist me in my plans for the wedding. She ended up making the beautiful dresses my two nieces who were the flower girls, my cousin and nephew who were the ring bearers and Avery who was my Junior Bridesmaid. In my opinion those dresses were the most beautiful ones I have ever seen in a wedding. So maybe I'm a little bit biased, but they were perfect for the very romantic like flower garden theme I was going for and they were handmade with love by Mary.

O.K, so I have told you the story of how we met the Holmes' family. Today they are still very dear to us. Over the last 15 years we have spent time with their family and watched the kids get older. Here is a funny bit of trivia. When we got married, Doug and Mary had celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary. In a couple days they will be celebrating their 30th and in June we will be at our 15th. How time flies!

Avery met her husband six years ago at a Camp Tadmore. She was sixteen and Mark was 23 or so. As I understand the story, he noticed Avery but knew she was too young so stayed clear of her. Three years later, at the same camp they were both there as counselors and she was now 19 and it was safe to pursue her. Now three years later they have tied the knot! Their age difference is the same as Michael and mine. Funny huh? I joked with Mary and Doug that it was because of our relationship that made it ok for Avery to date someone who was seven years older. Actually, it was the man that Mark is that made it so easy for the Holmes' to be so accepting of him and grow to love him.

Michael and I actually met Mark for the first time yesterday at the wedding, but could tell right away that he was a godly man who truly loves Avery and the Lord. The wedding ceremony also was a testimony of their love for God and their commitment in serving Him together. This ceremony was simple but very elegant and very Christ centered. The music was so God honoring. One of the songs was "In Christ Alone" by Keith Getty. This song was played during communion. We got choked up and I think I even saw tears in Michael's eyes when they were doing their vows. Mark and Avery spoke their vows so sincerely.

After the wedding there was a yummy cookie bar and I had the chance to speak to Avery and meet Mark. Here is a pic of Avery and me.
We then headed into Portland for a dinner reception, where the food was delicious, and the atmosphere was joyous and entertaining. Our three oldest children did exceptionally well for such a long day. When Emma was starting to lose it, I gave her my camera and she did a fantastic job capturing the first dance, the cutting of the cake and other candid shots. She is my budding photographer. Now she says she wants a camera of her own!

Right before we left, there was a money dance with the bride. Michael had the honors of dancing with the beautiful bride; the little girl that we so fell in love with who was in our very own wedding, and is now all grown up and married.
It brought everything full circle for us and was extremely emotional
Yes, I let my husband dance with another woman!!! Of course this is the first and last time! As they danced Avery brought up a memory of Michael swinging her in a laundry basket when she was Josh's age. For me it is hard to believe that time has flown by so fast. Then I have the thought that it really won't be long before Michael and I will be watching our little girl get married. No, I am not trying to get Mandi married off but it goes to show that time does keep ticking away and it isn't forever that they are little and in our complete care.

So this just reminded me of Avery's dad, Doug and his toast to his daughter and new son-in-law. It was very touching. I know how much this man loves his daughter and how proud he is of her and I could tell just how much he loved Mark and how comfortable he was of entrusting her to him.

Will any boy be good enough for my girls? I need to pray daily, now, that they will meet God fearing men who will love them unconditionally like Christ loved the church. This is one of our greatest desires and prayers that my children will find spouses who will see marriage as a lifetime commitment and serve and love God with all their hearts. Marriage isn't easy but if the relationship with God is there and they have a strong commitment to each other no matter what comes their way, then the storms can be weathered and the marriage can stay strong.

Well, to rap it all up, it was so wonderful to be at this wedding. It was special to see people from the first church where Michael served. In fact, the Senior Pastor who hired Michael and married us was there with his wife.
It was so great to reconnect with them. And, the youth pastor that was also on staff with Michael was there with his wife. It just brought back wonderful memories of the times we had at the church in Forest Grove. We may never get a chance to reconnect like this again. But this wedding brought us all back together for a time and that will forever stick in our minds. This is a pic of Michael talking to Skip (the pastor who married us).

Much blessings and happiness to the newlyweds. Mark and Avery, we enjoyed every moment at your wedding and felt blessed to have been able to celebrate this very special day with you. Michael and I will be praying for you as you start your new life together. We hope to keep in touch with you! Add us to your Christmas list!!


You May Kiss the Bride!!


Sweet Mandi!


The Wedding Crashers!


Emma loves a good party!



Michael with the kids


The Newlyweds!


Emma and Amanda having the time of their life!


Father, Daughter Dance


First Dance!




More pictures of Mark and Avery's wedding


2 comments:

runninggal said...

Sweet!

Emma said...

I read the part on your blog about the wedding.I love how you did everything!!! It's very nice.
[Love you]

-Emma

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online