Friday, September 5, 2008

Stand Up 2 Cancer


Tonight all the major networks hosted a program to raise money for cancer research called Stand Up 2 Cancer. Michael and I watched this very informative, and entertaining program. It was very touching and emotional for me. Most days I don't give cancer a thought but tonight this program brought back to mind all the emotions that I dealt with and apparently will still deal with. This has caused me to give thanks to God for giving my health back to me. It is also a reminder that my days are numbered and to live like I was dying. Have you heard that country song? I'm not sure who sings it. I want to live my life sharing the Joy that I have in God and making joyful memories with my family and my friends.

The statistics are that 1 out of 8 women will get breast cancer in their life time. That is a very startling statistic. I want to encourage all my friends and family to go in for yearly check ups and to do a breast exam. 40 is the recommended age to get a mammogram but if I had waited until I was 40 it might have been too late. My kind of cancer was slow growing, undetectable to human touch but fast moving to my lymph nodes. The doctors say this is the old woman's breast cancer that isn't detected until it is too late. I have much to praise God for!

Michel called in and made a donation in my name. He wanted to get me one of the survivor t-shirts that all the survivor celebrities were wearing but the suggested donation was too much. That's ok though because I'm a survivor and I don't need a t-shirt to remind me. It is a word that is now attached to me. It is a word that helps define who I am and what I went through. It is a word that reminds me how God got me through one of the toughest times of my life and how He is using it for His glory. I am proud to be a SURVIVOR!

Below is the website address. There is some great info on it and a place to make a donation to help in cancer research. Take a look and maybe even donate. I am sure you know a loved one who has gone through some form of cancer. If you haven't experienced cancer yourself or through a loved one, odds are that you will. I don't mean to sound like an infomercial but it is a topic that is close to my heart.

2 comments:

Power Up Love said...

I invite you to visit www.PowerUpLove.com a community of real people sharing real stories about how Love (God) has really impacted and changed their lives. Blessings...

Karyn said...

You are a survivor!

I miss you :(

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online