Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Look into the Future!!


On our way home from GP we had just two kids. Amanda was in Portland on an OMSI trip and Jeffrey was left in GP to spend Memorial Day weekend with Papa and Nana.

It is amazing how quiet 2 kids are! Emma and Josh were so quiet we hardly knew they were in the car, except for the play by play Josh was giving Emma of the movie "Bolt".

Then....on Monday, we drove to Chemult to pick Jeff and our family was back to normal. What is normal, you ask? Loud and crazy!!! All four were talking at once, the bickering started again, and I had a headache - this BIG. Oh wait, you can't see my outstretched arms. Michael, told the kids a bazillion times to quiet down, and finally told them that there was to be no more talking, period, until we got home. You know the game, "who can be quiet the longest"! It worked for a little while; long enough for me to think a thought of my own.

This is when I had the thought that someday we would miss the noise. I'm not sure if I really believe it, but I guess when Michael and I are well into our old age and the kids are long gone, we will look at one another in the quiet car and wish we had a car load of talking kids again.

So I broke the silence and commanded the kids that they must come home with their families as much as possible. That every Christmas and Thanksgiving I wanted a full house with lots of grand kids running around.

Mandi piped up and told me that it might be hard to come home if she was in South America as a missionary. I replied that, that would be no problem if she married a man with wealthy parents. I doubt we will strike it rich and be able to visit her much.

Then Emma said that she wouldn't move too far from home and she would come over a lot.

It was Jeff's comment that kind of blessed me a little, and worries a bit. He said that he would just live at home and NEVER move out!

OK????? Maybe I should make myself a little more clear and emphasize that I want them to COME AND VISIT. It's sweet that he loves us so much that he wants to stay at home, but we are NOT going to have a "failure to launch" kid. If you know what I mean.

I better start thinking on how I am going to teach this little bird how to fly, because eventually the nest needs to be empty.

I think I am going to enjoy the noise as long as I have it and pray that my son will find a nice, sweet girl who will take care of him so that he doesn't have to live at home the rest of his life.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Even though it's hard to believe that line "your gonna miss this", expecially when there's the constant bickering, I KNOW it must be true!!

I almost laughed out loud at what Michael said in the car, "no more talking until we get home". I can't tell you how many times we've said that!:)

but they really are growing up SO FAST and before we know it, they'll be gone. Sniff Sniff. WAAAHHHHHH!

...miss you...

Karyn said...

That post just made me laugh...

:)

Amanda said...

Nate, too wants to live at home forever. I think it's just the personality...an at-home-kid, I say. I never realized how they had this in common.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online