Tuesday, June 3, 2008

DISAPPOINTMENT = HIS APPOINTMENT

My parents-Susan and Dennis

My heart is very heavy this morning. I talked to my mom yesterday afternoon, she had just returned from a four day wedding event back East in the Philadelphia area. When she got home Monday morning around 2 a.m. in the morning there were several messages from a doctor at OSHU who had results of her biopsy. Two weeks earlier she had a biopsy done on a suspicious sore on her arm. In 2006 mom had some Melanoma Cancer removed from her arm. It was localized and no other treatments were needed. This particular cancerous spot has been identified as Amelanotic Melanoma. It is different than the other types of melanoma in that it is harder to detect. Amelanotic melanoma is rare and is challenging to diagnose because there is an absence of pigmentation (color). As I am writing she is waiting to her from her doctor as to when her surgery will be.

Cancer has been a real word in our family. As you can imagine this news from my mom has brought up fears and feelings that I have suppressed for awhile. I just now got off the phone with my mom. I called her in the middle of writing this to see how she was doing. I really wanted to just love on her and encourage her. I have been exactly where she has been. It is hard to hear the word Cancer from the doctor and then play the waiting game to see what is next. My prayer is that with surgery the doctor can remove all the cancer and she won't have to endure the process of chemotherapy or radiation. However, if it's necessary for her to go through all that to be healthy then I know that God will be with her every step of the way as will her family and friends.

Please pray with me and my family for my sweet mother. She sounds like she is handling it fine, but I know there is still fear of the unknown. God never said that we wouldn't experience those feelings but I pray that the peace of God will overwhelm her and that she can rest knowing that God is in complete control and is with her. Isaiah 41:10, 13 says:

"I will not fear, for You are with me; I will not be dismayed, for You are my God. You will strengthen me and help me; You will uphold me with Your righteous right hand. For You are the Lord my God, who takes hold of my right hand and says to me, "Do not fear; I will help you."

This verse is a promise us, we can cling to it. Better yet, memorize it and hide it in your heart so that Satan can't get in and take our thoughts captive. Satan chooses the mind for his battleground because he understands so well the principle laid down in the Word, that as a man thinketh so he is (Proverbs 23:7). Satan knows that if he can capture the mind he can capture the body. That is why we are told,

"Be transformed by the renewing of you mind" (Romans 12:2).

The Bible also tells us,

"Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things" (Philippians 4:8).

When I first learned that I had Breast Cancer almost exactly 3 years ago, the week of my 31st birthday, I remember feeling so numb and very confused. One night when I was awake, while every one else was sleeping I opened up a book by Kay Arthur entitled "As Silver Refined". I didn't read the book from start to finish at first but just skimmed it looking for anything that would help me deal with the thoughts and feelings of disappointment. I turned to a page that had in bold letters, "DISAPPOINTMENT = HIS APPOINTMENT" The following is an excerpt from her book.

"Your first response to disappointment in life circumstances must be an act of pure obedience. You must believe God no matter how you feel or what you think- no matter your circumstances. Tighten that belt of truth. Recognize and acknowledge that every disappointment is God's appointment. In your thinking, in that all-important mental response to the disappointment you now encounter, determine by faith that you will simply change the "D" of disappointment to an "H," then add a space-and you'll eventually see that this really is His appointment. Adding that space is important. At the moment your disappointment may be overwhelming, shattering. The pain can be so overpowering that you cannot imagine how anything good could ever come out of it, for there's nothing good in it. God doesn't say the situation is good, but He does promise that because He's your God and you're His child, He will bring good from it."

"Disappointment-His Appointment";
change one letter, then I see
that the thwarting of my purpose
is God's better choice for me.
His appointment must be blessing
though it may come in disguise;
for the end, from the beginning,
open His vision lies.

"Disappointment-His Appointment."
Whose? The Lord who loves me best,
understands and knows me fully,
who my faith and love would test.
For like loving earthly parents
He rejoices when He knows
that His child accepts unquestioned
all that from His wisdom flows.

"Disappointment-His Appointment";
no good things will He withhold.
From denials oft we gather
treasures of His love untold.
Well He knows each broken purpose
leads to a full, deeper trust,
and the end of all His dealings
proves our God is wise and just.

"Disappointment-His Appointment";
Lord I take it then as such,
like clay in the hands of the potter
yielding wholly to his touch.
My life's plan is all His molding;
not one single choice be mine.
Let me answer unrepining,
"Father, not my will but thine,"

Mom, my prayer for you is that you will embrace this time and to grow even closer to God than you already are. And to see this "DISAPPOINTMENT" as "HIS APPOINTMENT". Isn't it all about stepping heavenward anyway? Christ likeness and fruitfulness!! Paul wrote,

"Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. (James 1:2-4)

I love you, Mom!

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I can't even say how sorry I am Kristin. I will keep her and your family in my prayers. You are such a light. Your encouragment is immense and I know you will be an amazing support for your mom. Thank you too for encouraging me today as well. I needed to hear that.

Amanda said...

Kristin,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Seems like that C thing just gets all around. I will be praying, tell your mom we are praying for her peace and healing. Let me know if I can help w/ kiddos when you go to visit/help out.
A

Karyn said...

Hey friend- Wow! You're mom is so blessed to have you as a daughter. And I know you feel the same about her. Your mom's diagnosis (scary as it may be) and you writing this has already not only touched her, but others as well. I know your heart is heavy, as this is familiar territory. Please let me know if there is anything I can do (besides praying fervently) for you and your family. God sure has a lot of appointments for you these last few years! But I love that outlook...thanks for sharing.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online