Sunday, January 25, 2009

My Run In With A Stop Sign


Today after church, I left in the Tahoe with the kids and headed home. I got one block down the road when I saw a car slide right through the stop sign in front of me. For those of you who read my blog and don't live in my town, it was snowy and the roads were not treated and very slick. I just nearly missed T-boning this small sedan. In an attempt to miss her I tried to stir the Tahoe out of her way. Low and behold, I drove up on the corner house lawn and slammed into the stop sign. By the grace of God I missed the parked car in front of the house but I did take down the stop sign. It Broke clear in half and toppled the opposite direction of the car. I managed to drive away from my first accident without a single scratch on the car and most importantly no one was hurt.

Michael left the church just after me and found the children and I standing outside the Tahoe in this yard. Just before he got there, I was trying to flag down the lady who ran the stop sign because she was not going to stop and check out the situation. I got her to stop but somehow did not get any of her information. I wasn't persistent enough and she didn't see the need to give it out. Well, it all worked out and all is well.

This weekend with Joshy's finger and this near accident has made me stop and think about how I react to difficult situations. I know I definitely panic and freak out. I couldn't tell you why I do this but according to most of my friends I reacted in a normal way. It only makes sense to panic when your baby is bleeding all over the place and you see a finger that is almost completely severed. I hope that if it was a life or death situation I would arise to the occasion,panic less and make wiser decisions. I do know that my first response to this accident, when I missed the car and the other car parked was to praise God for keeping everyone safe. I am just so glad that I didn't rattle off a whole bunch of bad words that my kids would have heard. Some situations allow us enough time to stop and think of the best response, but other times we don't have time to stop and think but just go with pure instinct, or our gut reaction.

Tomorrow is a new day and the start of a new week. I am looking forward to getting back to normal life...whatever that looks like! I just hope that it doesn't involve blood or downed stop signs. I hope you all have a normal, wonderful week too.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Yikes! You know how to break all the rules...not even letting the stops sign stop you! Really, though, glad you're okay...and we'll work on that emergency response- you and I. :)

runninggal said...

Seriously Kristin, I'd pass out if Bekah got hurt that bad...or at least see stars. We love so deeply!

Glad the stop sign lost and you are safe!

T-bone accidents are no fun.

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online